Monday, January 23, 2006

Baby, It's Cold Outside

And, that's for sure! It has been very, very cold for our part of the country. On average we usually dip down into the 40s at night. But, this past couple of weeks the temperature gauge has seen the lower 20s.
Before you go thinking that I am a whimp I must let you know that my middle years were spent in cold, cold central Oregon. I should be used to the falling temps. I lived among pine and juniper where the wood stove was your friend.
But, for the past twenty-one years I have lived in somewhat sunny California. I say somewhat because usualy we are smack dap in the middle of fog right now. But, because of the very cold weather there are no clouds to be seen. It is clear blue skies which has been such a blessing.
The down side to having such cold weather is that our plants are not used to it. Our citrus (we have an orange, lemon, and lime tree) are covered with Christmas lights as we try to keep them from freezing to death. Any semblance of lettuce in the garden is now mushy and wilted. The chickens seem to be doing okay as is the bunny which, is quite a relief. Then there is the price that we will all pay in the store for citrus and avacadoes. Bummer!
Kind of a silly post but I thought I would update you on the weather since there was not much else to tell about from the LazyD ranch. Now, back to warming my toes by the fireplace!

No comments: