Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Lake Tahoe

So, this is the place that we are staying at. It is big, beautiful, and luxurious. At first I was worried that I might look like the Beverly Hillbillies arriving at a resort with my fifteen passenger van filled with enough food to feed my family for four days. I am all about saving money and bringing our food knowing that each room had a kitchen. The valet (yes, I said valet) guy said that he was impressed with how organized our stuff was. I had two ice chests and three huge baskets filled with school books and food. As we are walking into the resort we see guests walking in with luggage racks filled with Safeway bags. Hah! I no longer worried. Instead I found the reception very pleasant.
Would I love to be a a part of this timeshare? You bet. Buuuutttt...really that is not the way I should be spending the money that Eric left for me.
So, I will enjoy these sweet gifts from our friends.
What have we been doing the last couple of days? Swimming, eating, sleeping, watching movies, and doing a bit of school work. The weather has been very pleasant but the kids would rather just hang out instead of do the tourist things. The fact is we used to come to Lake Tahoe every other year for many years. We have done just about everything that there is to do here so just relaxing fits the bill.
We still have a couple more days here. Very nice.

I thought I would give you some facts about this gorgeous lake. It is considered a sub-alpine (it is at 6000') lake that is the second deepest in the U.S. It is the eleventh deepest in the world.
The combination of great depth, small ratio of watershed to lake area, and granitic geology of the basin has produced a lake extremely high in transparency. It has a deep blue color and its clarity is known to be about 70ft. Every year they do a white plate test where they drop a white plate to figure out how deep they can see it. This lake also produces its own weather. During the summer you can see lightening storms brew over the lake while on the outskirts of the lake the sky is blue. There are also 300 some odd days of sun here at this lake and yet in the winter there is at least 125" of snow down at lake level. This beautiful weather makes the skiing here quite unbelievable. I don't ski but really, you have to just imagine what it must be like to ski down a mountain seeing a huge blue lake that does not freeze.
Here's to God's creation. What an incredible gifts He give us.
~Lazyd

6 comments:

flowerpot said...

Wow, I did not know any of the trivia about Lake Tahoe. It is so beautiful! I hope you guys have a wonderful retreat.
http://made-new.blogspot.com

Janet said...

I *tried* to ski at Heavenly a few years ago. I took 3 runs and got horrible altitude sickness. It was so disappointing and so expensive. I sat in the chalet (spinning) and my sweet husband kept checking on me. :)

I'm glad you're having a wonderful time. What a blessing to have been given that timeshare.

CristyLynn said...

So glad you can relax and have some fun.

Caroline Howard said...

Hey, thanks for rubbing it in! Wish we were there with you :o)

Heart4Adoption said...

How beautiful, thanks for sharing it with us.

Hawaiian Time said...

Heather, I am a Patriarch Wives member & have been following your blog for some time. I am soon to pass it on to my dear friend, mom, homeschooler, & sadly now, widow. She lost her beloved husband, also a dear friend of ours 8 weeks ago. He died suddenly at 44, in her arms, from a massive heart attack.
As you know she is lost & devastated. She has 6 children 15 - 3, they are lost & devastated.
How fortunate I am able to offer her something to read that is poignant, touching, faith filled, real, & inspiring. I know she will be blessed by your candidness. Thanks for opening up your heart.

I had a son die & the help, encouragement and experience's of those that had gone down that same road was such an encouragement.
May it be so for her.
Thank you.