Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Doxology

Praise God from whom all blessings flow
Praise Him all creators here below
Praise Him above, ye heavenly hosts
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost

Every Sunday we sing this corporately to end our service.
I've been singing this for....forever!
This is the first song that our children learn to sing.
But, for the past few years I have been struck by the beauty of this chorus.

We visited many churches on our travels across the U.S.
There were quite a few where the doxology was sung while all in the congregation lifted their hands.
Oh, how beautiful it is to see a congregation full of young and old raising hands together while singing the above.

The words are so moving when you reflect on them more deeply.

Praise God from WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW
All blessings come from the hand of God and because of this He deserves our praise.

Praise Him ALL CREATURES here below
Now, here is the beautiful part....
we, the Church, are calling on all the creatures that God created and placed on this earth
to praise Him.

Praise Him ABOVE ye HEAVENLY HOSTS
And this? Oh, the beauty of this phrase. Now, we, the Church, are calling on the heavenly hosts to praise their Creator.

What I love about the above is the thought that all those of the Church that have gone before us are praising God with us.
This means that my late husband, my aunt, and so many others are praising their King.
The One who conquered death!

Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!
The Trinity...after spending a few long minutes talking to a Jehovah's Witness the other day, I find this portion of our beliefs to be so important...so foundational to our theology.
Praise Three in One!

Sing it loud, sing it often.
Repeat.
~Heather


4 comments:

Sommer said...

We start our homeschool week with this and my children have it down beautifully :-) I love that we sing it every Sunday together.

Next time I sing it, I will think on the beauty of those words!

Blessings,
Sommer

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said! Honored that I GET to sing it with you my friend!
Tricia Otto

Yvonne said...

I have always loved this song, even before I was a believer. Thank you for sharing!

NYLass said...

Thank you for posting this - the way that you write is a blessing - I read it so many times... I ended up re-posting an abbreviated version.
I hope that is okay.
peace and blessings to you all,
Anne