Friday, June 5, 2009

Williamsburg, Virginia

We traveled from Appomatox to Williamsburg area. I had no idea how brilliant my idea was to travel to Williamsburg on Memorial day. We watched as the eastbound traffic came to a complete stop due to holiday traffic heading home. It also meant that Williamsburg was not that busy. Boo was not feeling well so we left her at the hotel as the rest of us headed down to old Williamsburg. We were amazed at the upkeep and general old feel of the town.
I am a sucker for a beautiful garden. I just love rows of plants and admire those who can keep things growing. I hope to be able to acquire that skill in the future.
Once again my eye drifts to beautiful architecture. I particularly love old churches. I wish that I would have taken more time to set this particular picture up so that it would have more character to it but this time you get a tourist picture.
Not particularly fond of Colonial architecture but this white house was begging to have a pic taken of it.
We stumbled onto a presentation by a Colonial re-enactor. I tried to remember some of the words that he spoke in hopes of finding out whose speech he was giving. I have searched Google but just could not find this particular speech. You will just have to believe me when I say that the gentleman did a fabulous job.
Red Lion Inn was Williamsburg's first known tavern and built in 1719.
I think every mother would love to have something like this in her backyard. My boys would fervently disagree!
The kids were very interested in hearing what Thomas Jefferson has to say. If Jefferson could speak, the tales he would tell. I wonder if he would be shocked at the changes in our nation over the past two hundred years.
We only had an afternoon and evening in historic Williamsburg. The next morning we headed to Jamestown for a few hours and then up to our nation's Capitol.
My favorite find? I love to buy books from each location we visit. My ideal book would be a children's hardbound book that either talked about the region or the history of the area. I found one in Williamsburg. The name of the book is D is for Drums: A Colonial Williamsburg ABC book. Now if I could get all historic sites to provide such wonderful souvenir items of substance!
~Heather

3 comments:

CristyLynn said...

Heather, you are making me soooo homesick! I have family near so many of the places that you are visiting, and some of your pictures are very similar to pictures taken throughout my childhood! Wow! Glad you're having a great time!

runninggal said...

I have a little link to your blog in my post today.


Blessings on this amazing trip. You will all never forget such an incredible time!

We leave for our 7 week trip in a few days.
http://www.runninggalinsights.blogspot.com

RMSLIL said...

Glad you had a good time in my backyard almost.