Friday, October 2, 2009

The Climb

O-kay, so I am sitting in traffic this afternoon listening to the CD that Miss M had inserted into the car stereo. Tears just start streaming down my face because of the song that was playing...the same one that is at this moment playing on my blog. I am almost ashamed to admit that my cheeks were stained with tears because of a Miley Cyrus (aka Hannah Montana) song! But, the lyrics are beautiful and actually follow closely with my own climb.

The Climb
Songwriters: Alexander, J; Mabe, J

I can almost see it
That dream I am dreaming
But there's a voice inside my head saying
"You'll never reach it"

Every step I'm taking
Every move I make feels
Lost with no direction
My faith is shaking

But I gotta keep trying
Gotta keep my head held high

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be a uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb

The struggles I'm facing
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down
But no, I'm not breaking

I may not know it
But these are the moments that
I'm gonna remember most, yeah
Just gotta keep going

And I, I got to be strong
Just keep pushing on

'Cause there's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be a uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb, yeah!


Keep on moving, keep climbing
Keep the faith, baby
It's all about, it's all about the climb
Keep the faith, keep your faith

In particular, I find such meaning in the chorus...
It really isn't how fast you get there and it isn't about what's waiting on the other side but it is all about the climb. That upward struggle of just placing one foot in front of the other. Having no idea what might be on the other side of that mountain you are climbing but faithfully climbing because you are called to. Called by a Heavenly Father who has sustained you and given you the grace to keep on keeping on.

While we were up at Pinecrest for our annual family camp I had the privilege of climbing up a ridge with Phil and my two middle girls. It was not an easy trek and I would safely say that it was the hardest I have physically pushed myself in my adult life. I didn't do it for the view nor did I do it for the "thrill" of jumping into freezing cold pools of water. I can honestly say that I did not do it for Phil either (although having him along was the best). I did it just like I do everything else right now...because it is a part of living life to it's fullest. Just put one foot in front of the other. Just keep moving, keep climbing.
There was no accolades or applauding when we told of our hiking tales. Only a deep down satisfaction that I had conquered another mountain and pushed myself further than I had before.

Of course, my life has taken a similar journey. I did not take this journey because of what was on the other side. I had no idea that Phil would be on the other side. I decided to walk one step at a time. Still doing the same. And, I actually have learned to enjoy the climb because that is where I have felt the closest to my Guide.

~Heather


7 comments:

Nan said...

Neat Heather. Thanks for sharing!

Miss.M said...

Okay, so I have to post a comment. I'm sitting here with Nora reading this. And I started to cry(I'm still not sure why). I love that song. And it is hard climb that all of us in the Davis have hiked and are still hiking. "It really isn't how fast you get there and it isn't about what's waiting on the other side but it is all about the climb". That is so true for all of us. Love you!
~Miss.M

Kari said...

Heather, please take a peek at my blog... www.mycrazyadoption.org

Simply Sunday!!

Jacqueline said...

Heather,
I am always moved by your words. Your unwavering faith in the goodness of God, your steadfast obedience to His commands, and your determination to keep 'climbing the mountain' are a blessed example to one like me who has been wandering around in the foothills for too long, hesitating to take that first steep step. Thank you for sharing your 'climb' and for inspiring others to closer walks with God.

Kari said...

Heather, can you email from my blog (top right) your address & T shirt size. The T fits slim & long. I usually go up a size.
CONGRATS on being the Brave Hearted Chick winner. You are so precious!!
Praying for your amazing family through this life climb. I used that song on my daughter's b-day video. Its one of my favs too.
xoxo

Kathy - mom of many said...

Hi Heather,
I've been reading your blog for a year and a half, off and on. I remember when you kept a prayer beeper. I called it a few times and prayed for you as God brought you to mind.
Congratulations to you and Phil on your engagement. It is really inspiring to read of your journey to this point.
I was wondering if God has put anyone in your path to help through the trial of widowhood. There is another woman whose blog I read, who became a widow around the same time you did. She is still far from accepting her circumstances.
Her original blog is here
http://southeastcountrywife.blogspot.com/
but has moved to here
http://southeastcountrywife.typepad.com/

Can't wait to see more photos of your dress, the wedding and all the festivities.

southeastcountrywife said...

Kathy might want to remember that, if one doesn't know the person face-to-face, one only knows part of the story and/or a portion of the truth of their lives...