Sunday, March 14, 2010

Deep in the Heart of Texas

"O-kay...everyone line up! Look natural."



I have a diverse family...of personalities, that is. Their clothes really tell much about their personalities. Miss M is my Channel No. 9 gal. Foley just wears whatever...such a typical boy. Brown Sugar really, really likes to dress up but has a very funky style. Daisy is my eclectic child....bright colors and crazy patterns.
Although living with so many different characters in our home can be difficult, it is also these differences that make the Olsson/Davis family unique. Individuals with differences living under one roof provides an opportunity to learn how to get along with all sorts of people.


The Alamo


We just couldn't imagine not stopping by the Alamo. Our visit didn't really clear up the story for me. Thankfully, I have a few books and a video that tells the story. The only thing I know about the Alamo is that Davy Crockett and James Bowie were both there. But, the visit did spark an interest that I had never really had for this particular part of history.





Aw...Daisy!


Our version of Davy Crockett...he was black wasn't he?


This little girl is all smiles...


Hey, look Becca, it's Superman!
Hmmmm...Superman or texting....hmmmmm


The Riverwalk.



Fletch, Nate, and I checking out the sites. It was a beautiful 75 degree day.


The Casa Rio...that's where we ate to celebrate Nate's graduation and Mallory's 16th birthday. We ate out next to the water and enjoyed some wonderful Tex-Mex food.



So, our friend Fletch, challenged us to a chip eating contest. The contest was to see who could "create" the shape of the state of Texas by nibbling on their chip. You were disqualified if the chip broke. Here was my rendition...I believe that I won.


Fletch working on his chip.


Nate enjoying something other than chow hall food.


The kiddos! What a great, fun group of people to hang with.



We weren't sure how we were going to end Mallory's special day. She was just hapy to be able to spend the day with her brother. But, then we saw Haagen-Dazs ice cream store. That was easy!


Again...great kids. I so love this family that God has given me. I love the diversity. I love how they challenge me. I love how they love life. I love how they love God.


Read the sign just as it is written...we all got a laugh.


I loved how this photo turned out. It would have been nicer with a bigger lense but it still showcases the grandess of our flag.

I got a phone call last night from Nate. He is doing well now that he is over in Mississippi. He had some great news to share about his future. It took me by surprise and I still get a little teary eyed thinking about how proud his dad would be of him. Nate was asked to be one of five enlisted that are being given the opportunity to go to the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. For those of you who don't know much about the Academy, it is very hard to get in to. They have thousands of applicants a year but very few slots. It is quite the honor for Nathan to receive this invitation.
I am so proud of Nate. He works hard at whatever is put before him and it seems to the rest of us that watch him that he thrives on challenges. He is a leader and yet follows instructions well and understands the authority structure of the military.
I give a lot of credit to Eric who pushed Nathan continually to strive for excellence. He taught him determination and diligence while climbing those mountains and building our home.
Eric would be incredibly proud to know that his son had done so well in Basic Training and now was going on to become an officer in the Air Force.
I am equally proud of his accomplishments but even happier to know that he walks closely with his Creator. That he has chosen the narrow path. And, although he could just keep his faith and beliefs to himself he has chosen to live out loud.
Way to go, Nate!
May God bless you and give you peace as you walk down this surprisingly new path He has placed before you.
~Heather

1 comment:

Jane said...

Another delurk

Oh that is wonderful news, well done Nate. I'm British so I'm not completely up on how the military academies in the US work, but does this mean he'll spend 4 years in Colorado Springs, training and learning and get a college degree as well?