Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I'm A Soldier in the Army

Let me die, let me die in the army
Let me suffer, let me suffer in the army
Oh Let me die, let me die in the army
I'm a soldier in the army of the Lord

This is one of the songs they sing at the Acres of Hope orphanage. Joe tells me that he had never heard about Jesus until he arrived at AOH. And, in six months he learned a wonderful selection of Christian songs. The one above is probably one of our favorites mainly because it is what we are called to do. And, what better illustration of our lives as Christians, for a young boy, then that of a soldier.

Last night at a bi-monthly Young Families Group that we host, we sang this song. One of the newer couples was rather struck by the words and reminded us that this is what Paul calls us to in II Timothy 2:3-4
Suffer hardship with me as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier.
As I read the passage, I was ashamed of the fact that I had been feeling rather frustrated about the accomplishments that I had not been able to achieve due to a crazy schedule over the last couple of weeks. And, I was even more ashamed of my grumbling spirit over our food budget.
But, scripture clearly teaches us that we should not entangle ourselves in the affairs of everyday life.
And, if you read on vs 11-13 say:
For if we died with Him, we shall also live with Him;
If we endure, we shall also reign with Him;
If we deny Him, He also will deny us;
If we are faithless, He remains faithful;
for He cannot deny Himself
So, today I am going to not entangle myself with all those things that keep frustrating me but rather please the One who called me by being faithful to that call and dying to myself.
Not of This World Sept 16, 2006
We were reminded once again that we are not of this world but just live in it for a very short time.
Hubbie hiked up Half Dome (in Yosemite) Thursday and Friday with three of our kids and four other kids from our church. They were going to come home on Saturday but it was very cold and so they decided to come home Friday night. While they were driving through the valley the Suburban started shaking. And, as Hubbie was pulling over the back tire completely rolled off.
Now here is where God's incredible mercy comes in....Hubbie was only driving ten miles an hour and Mr. T, one of the guys that hiked up with them, was right behind him. IF he had been going faster or going downhill it would have been serious. IF they had waited to leave until Saturday they would have been stranded because Mr. T had to leave on Friday.

Hubbie called me and asked if I could drive around and get some parts for him since it was getting late. Well, many of you know that I can not drive at night due to my vision loss. It was 6:00pm when he called. I had about an hour to go to several stores to get all the parts. As I got through the first store I got into the truck and it would not start. I am usually prone to tears but I fought them back and started praying. I called a friend and they came over to rescue me. In fact, her husband and my Hubbie are both going back up to Yosemite to fix the Suburban.

What happened? Something that NEVER happens (except to us!). The studs, or screws, that hold the tire onto the car were all sheared off. All eight of them. The average person could experience one or two breaking off but not all eight of them.

So, what is God trying to teach us? We chose to adopt two orphans rather then remodel our kitchen or buy new cars. My resolve is still there that this was the right thing to do. But, every once in a while I question whether having two older cars is sensible. Then, as I was praying last night, I was reminded that cars are not eternal. Hearts are. Cars are only here to get us from one location to another. Spiritually, we are on this earth for a very short time. It should not be our goal to seek those things that will not last.

My hope is that I will continue to be content with the cars that God has provided us. I will continue to thank Him for his protection and also thank Him for showing us how He protects us. What a wonderful gift!

No comments: